Friday, January 4, 2013

Happy New Year!

Well, hello again, you survivors of the Mayan apocalypse! Whew, that was close, but the world didn't end, and we had to pay our hotel bill after all.

We traveled to the east coast for Christmas with the kids and grandkids, and our daughter's in-laws. It was a joyous occasion. When you have kids on both coasts and you live in the middle, the whole family unit doesn't land in one place too often. When it does, there is much eating, drinking, and merrymaking.

And now I have resolved not to step on a scale for the entire month of January.  After three post-Thanksgiving weeks of disciplined, healthy eating (minimal sugar and breads, lots of veggies), I started my Christmas baking and it was all over. There are some family traditions you really don't WANT to let go of, ya know? I have now successfully made kolache, a wonderful, almost sacred, Hungarian nut roll confection that was once my mother's exclusive territory. My kids grew up having it for breakfast on Christmas morning, and we will continue that tradition. Only once a year!

Speaking of traditions, I haven't completely thrown out the Christmas card one (as many people have), although I'm afraid they are going to be New Year's cards this year.  The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get.

Tom and I started out the year with a snowshoeing excursion. It is a winter wonderland here, and there are few things to match the peace and beauty of a snowy woods. Channeling Robert Frost! The dog had a good time too, although not on snowshoes. He ran wide circles around us, springing up like a porpoise, tunneling into the snow with his nose when he needed a get a particularly good sniff, and leaving lots of messages. And he wasn't as tired as I was afterwards either.

For the past couple of days, I've been staying indoors, putting away the decorations, cleaning up files on the computer,  and doing some cooking.  Yesterday it was a  big pot of chickpeas with several meals in mind: chana masala for dinner, a batch of veggie burgers for the freezer, and some freshly made hummus on the side.  We're getting ourselves back on the track we fell off of a few weeks ago. 

This morning, I made a quick trip out to get a flu shot, reversing my earlier decision to avoid it this year, after reading about the 181% increase in flu cases statewide over last year. It appears to be a particularly nasty flu, too. No thanks, I don't want any. I got the shot.

Though I haven't been posting here frequently lately, I have updated the calendar, and will be adding some new links, so bookmark and check back frequently.  It was my intention from the beginning to make this site a source for information about local events and resources, as well as sustainability in general. I hope that people will use my site as an index for accessing those links and not just come here to read my postings. There's so much more here for you than that!

Happy 2013, here we go!






No comments:

Post a Comment