Wednesday, February 6, 2013

An uneventful week

It's been an uneventful week. And when I say uneventful, I mean I've been in full couch potato mode.

Despite my best efforts to avoid illness, I came down with a cold. Since I rarely get colds (I think this one attached itself to Tom at school and snuck into our house to get me), I'd kind of forgotten how miserable they can be. So most of the past week has been a bendryl-induced haze. Good timing, really, because the outdoor temperatures haven't climbed out of the teens.  And the dog has been pretty patient with me, considering.  I finally came out of the fog, with the help of some homemade chicken soup, and this morning I think I'll go back out in the world, to my yoga class.  Props to my immune system, and the chicken,  for a job well done.

One of the things I observed over the past week is that when my mind is freed of all those "gotta do" messages (because my body put the brakes on, full stop, and declared it was not going anywhere or doing anything, and that was that!), my more creative thoughts come in and have a party. They've been creating an expanded children's program for the church, a plan for subgroups in the food buying club, writing the Great American Novel, and exploding with new craft ideas.

I even had some pretty profound thoughts about the advantages of small town living in a place like Jamestown in the kind of future we're heading into.  I wish I had written them down, because this is a theme that needs to be articulated until all of the people who live here appreciate the jewel they have in their hands. I am grateful to the people who understand this and work every day at nurturing and improving our community for ourselves and  future generations.

Of course, now that I have returned to able-bodied status, the "gotta do" voices are back, and my time for all the fun and profound stuff will be reduced, alas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment