Monday, March 11, 2013

Fun with food

I meant to post an update last week, but with all the other things going on -- my attention to the food buying club, yoga, weaving, reading, and especially the additional time in the kitchen chopping vegetables -- it just didn't happen.

So, March roared in like a lion, right on schedule, resulting in the predictable crankiness about the staying power of winter. Right now it's thawing before it freezes again -- if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. I did see an Amish farmer out in his field with his horses and plow over the weekend -- a sure sign of spring!

We've gotten through two weeks of the diet change, with very little slippage.  The goal is not to be perfect ( there's going to be a little chocolate here and there, count on it), but we're enjoying our healthier food choices rather than feeling constricted by them. We're actually eating a much larger variety of foods than before.  Salads have become much more interesting with the addition of nuts and seeds and sprouts. More fruit in the house means more fruit flies. Hey, the more the merrier!

I'll be overseeing my second distribution for the food buying club this week, and so far so good. It was fun meeting some of the other members for the first time, and getting new ideas about what to order in the future.  I took a big leap and added some tofu to my order this time. I've never been a big tofu fan, but I have to admit that the recipes I've tried from Dr. Fuhrman's book have been delicious, so I'm willing to try the tofu ones, just because.  In order to like certain foods (kale, for instance), you have to give them several tries and learn the best ways to prepare them.   I like having fun with my food.


Usually not THIS much fun, though:

















But if you feel inspired, go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment