Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Alert the fashion police...I've gone rogue!

I really was planning to get a haircut yesterday.  But I stopped and asked myself the question...WHY? Why do I want to subject myself to something I've always hated?

No offense to all of you with the cute, fashionable, shiny do's, expertly crafted, trimmed, colored, shaded, highlighted, curled or straightened, and maintained with gallons of salon products. You look great, I'm sure you're worth it, and you're helping to keep a whole industry afloat.

But WHY?  What really shapes our images of who we want to be, what (or whom) we want to look like, and for whom are we really putting ourselves through this?

And all those "products" we're absorbing through our scalp...better living through chemistry, or is it? I cringe when I think of all the perms inflicted upon me in the 80's and 90's, and I'm glad that, except for a few youthful experiments, I never got into the whole coloring thing.

My hair has gotten long. Some would say, TOO long for a woman of a certain age. Where did that notion come from anyway?  By letting my hair "go natural," more or less, I save myself a lot of time and trouble (and money) on maintenance, no trims, no "roots" to worry about, very little time fussing in front of the mirror. Clean, reasonably neat (just brush, or pull up into a clip when having it hanging interferes with an activity or otherwise annoys me), comfortable.  Not that I was ever a slavish follower of fashion trends, but those are the principles I have come to apply to clothing, too.

Freedom from the shoulds and musts of others' expectations gives us so much more head space to simply BE, and to explore other things that intrigue us and perhaps actually matter in the bigger picture. Life is short and we fritter it away on trends.

I trimmed my own hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment