Thursday, August 8, 2013

High humidity and cool nights

Note: I almost remembered to post this a few days ago. I think I need a little vacation.

If you don't like what the weather is doing, wait a minute. We seem to be having an early taste of autumn now.  I love the cooler temps. The garden does not.  The fungi have arrived and are wreaking havoc. The tomato plants have been hit with blight. The squash plants are getting mildew. My hollyhocks have succumbed to rust. The rose bushes have black spot.  I keep removing the infected leaves and hoping I get some ripe tomatoes before the plants give out.

I keep thinking about climate controlled indoor vegetable gardening.

It looks like the carrots are going to be fine, and I planted some more chard and kale seeds, hoping for a good late crop that I can donate to St. Susan's.

Oh well.

Lucy Fest has come and gone. The summer is flying by. I need to finish my painting projects at the church before September, when services and classes resume at UUCJ.  By the way, I was elected co-president of the new church board, so you may call me Madam President. Lately I've been spending my mornings at the church in old clothes with a paint brush in my hand. Stuff needs to get done.


No comments:

Post a Comment