Friday, March 25, 2011

Another week goes by

Well,  for a couple of days it was near 60 degrees and the evidence of spring was popping out all over my front lawn. I was able to start some of the trimming and clearing of winter debris from my garden. I was a happy camper.  Tom literally was a happy camper, spending another weekend in the woods with a hiking group from Ohio.

And then we woke up to this the other morning.

That was actually the worst of it (it was actually beautiful!)--central NY got more than we did--and the sun has melted away most of that by now. It isn't warm, though. We're back to daytime highs in the 20's and overnight lows in the teens (maybe even single digits tonight), and I'm back under my blanket, reading books. Let me know when it hits 40 again!

The calendar says spring, so we know winter has to let go  in the near future. I'm narrowing down my choices for the veggie garden and deciding whether I have enough windowsill space to start some plants from seed after all (and wondering if the cat will leave them alone if I do). We went out for yoga on Wednesday morning (Tom is taking this series of classes with me), stopped at Labyrinth for a delicious bowl of soup for lunch, and then picked up some more reading material from the library. Yep, that was our big day this week. Winter isn't our social season.

The world has been such a hellish place lately that I've been thinking we need to address our personal preparation for disaster. We won't have a devastating earthquake or nuclear meltdown here, but tornadoes and other severe storms are not unheard of in this area. Nearby towns were struck last summer, and our next door neighbor in Cleveland lost five trees in her back yard. (Fortunately, they missed her house.) At the very least we should be prepared for a power outage. Water. Food that requires no refrigeration and very little cooking. Matches and candles. We experienced some of this during the blackout in the summer of 2003, and for a couple of days, it wasn't too terrible. What if it was longer? What if the ATM's stopped dispensing cash and the gasoline pumps stopped operating? How well would you cope?

No comments:

Post a Comment