Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I love a parade

We've been having a parade of contractors here as it's getting down to decision time about how much we will or will not do in the short term to improve our living space. The economy has never been a scarier mess than it is now, and taking risks with our financial future seems like a very bad idea.

At the same time, the longer we live here, the better we like the smaller space.  We're letting go of those old ideas and images of what a home "should" look like, and we're learning how to live in an apartment-sized space.

Reading blogs like Simpler Living and The Non-Consumer Advocate is helpful because of the many useful tips offered up by the authors and their readers. Katy (of the latter blog) doesn't live in such a small space, but is nonetheless achieving a comfortable level of simplicity by giving up the costly consumer lifestyle and freeing herself and her family of useless stuff.

I'm becoming more organized than I have ever been. Baskets, bins, and drawer dividers are great things. Walls with shelves are amazing.

But I still need to get rid of more stuff. I have too many clothes that I rarely wear and they need to be weeded out.  (I'm no fashionista either, I dress for comfort.)  I have a lot of cookbooks that I no longer use because when I want a new recipe, I go googling for one. I really don't need three potato peelers, three graters, two hand mixers, or a panini grill that I've used twice in three years. And here's a real shocker for you--I may not need a microwave oven either. Mine fritzed out a couple of months ago and I haven't replaced it yet. I've remembered that there are other ways to thaw frozen meat and warm up leftovers. No more microwave entrees--oh well!  I may just cave when the weather gets cooler and I want baked potatoes. They cook so much faster in the microwave than in the oven. On the other hand, I may just plan my meals better and allow more time for cooking.

Speaking of food, the tomatoes have been producing so well that I've been able to share them with my neighbors.We've had fresh tomatoes in salads, on sandwiches, tuna-stuffed tomatoes, and lots of salsa.  I'm really looking forward to having a much bigger garden next year so I will have enough tomatoes for canning, and maybe even dehydrating.

Soon, the apples will be ready.

If this seems a little disjointed, it's because I've been writing it in bits and pieces over about four days. I've been busy out in the garage, sorting through things and trying to organize another sale before summer ends--all too soon.

For your reading enjoyment and "food for thought," I've posted a couple of new article links to the "Recent Articles" list over there. --->

German Village Achieves Energy Independence details the amazing results of effective local leadership, and I hope Americans (somewhere, somehow) can learn something from this example.

In "THE OILING OF NORTH AMERICA"  nutrition journalist and food historian Sally Fallon documents the politics behind the cholesterol theory of heart disease, and offers a detailed description of what fats and oils are good for us (and which aren't). I feel that this is essential reading for everyone who is interested in good health.  It certainly seems to validate the adage that "if your grandma wouldn't recognize it, it probably isn't food."

I hope you will read these and share your thoughts with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment