Friday, January 28, 2011

Riding the weather roller coaster

Still frozen here!  When it's 13 below zero one morning and 28 above the next, it seems like Mother Nature is having mood swings, even within the lower range.

I'm glad the DEEP freeze was brief, though,  because even the dog didn't want to go out. He kept picking up his paws as if the ground was biting him.  I considered getting doggie boots for him. But I don't think he would tolerate them.

As for human survival tips, the two most important words are: long underwear. Don't leave home without it.

I am becoming acclimated to the season and feeling less couch potatoey, but I've decided to stay home this weekend and paint all of the wood trim in my house. It has been begging me for a freshening up. (The flooring says, me too!) After this weekend, I'm looking forward to getting out again for some of the many upcoming activities in the area. As you can see from the mere sampling I've posted in my "Upcoming Events" section,  there's plenty to do here even in the dead of winter (even if you don't ski). For those who complain about Jamestown, I have this advice: if it's not happening, then MAKE it happen. I don't have a lot of sympathy for helplessness.

Since winter doesn't last forever (it only seems that way sometimes), I'm starting to entertain ideas about the best use of my new raised bed vegetable garden plot--as well as how to keep the deer and rabbits from eating it all. While I was googling around, I found the most awesome resource material for community resilience from the Bay area (where my son lives), which I will be carefully studying. I've also discovered that here in NY, residents of Tompkins county (around Ithaca) have organized to work on a localization plan. I'll be studying their efforts too.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear from people here in Chautauqua county who share my concerns about sustainability. You can email me susan.meara AT gmail.com.

Stay warm!  

No comments:

Post a Comment