Thursday, February 3, 2011

This and that

I've been watching the turmoil in the Middle East--fascinated by it all and wondering if we're going to have a crisis here sooner instead of later. Gasoline prices are going up, and I expect the price of everything else will soon follow. It's a good time to stock up on staples.

Meanwhile, the "monster storm" seems to have skipped to the north of us. We got some new snow, but now the wind has died down and the sun is shining. Our neighbor came over with his snowblower and helped us clear our driveway. Looks like it's safe to leave the bunker. :)

Tom spent last weekend at winter mountaineering school in the Adirondacks (his birthday present to himself) and now he's even more wildly enthusiastic about playing in the snow. It looks like we'll be hitting the trails at  Audubon to find out if I can still handle myself on cross country skis (which I have not done in two decades) without making snow angels. Not today, though, because the temp is not going to rise above the teens and I'm happier when it's above 25. Yes, I am a wimp.  I'm thinking today is a great day to go to the library.

Random note #1: Jamestown does not have an official groundhog. We're planning to continue the sweaters and long underwear for awhile.

Random note #2: I discovered over the weekend that Marcal makes paper products like toilet paper and paper towels from recycled paper instead of cutting down more trees. This is valuable information in a time of really stupid and rude toilet paper commercials. And no, this is not a paid ad.

2 comments:

  1. Hi.I just found your blog featured under the 52 letters project.I love what your blog is all about.I will visit it often now.At first I thought you were in VA,but you're in NY....isn't it the birthplace of Lucy...I love Lucy? I know it was either Jamestown or another city...there was some big deal about telling on the show where she was really from.Anyways,my daughters and I are doing a letter project of a different type...we are trying to collect 2,011 letters by Dec 31...it's not just about letters,but about learning about other people an the area they live in.I'm sure there is a lot you could tell us about your area.Please take a look at our blog- http://2011letters.blogspot.com
    Thanks and spread the word if you can,thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee. Yes, you're correct, this is Lucy's hometown... and much more! Your letter project is a great idea. When I was a kid, I had lots of pen pals. Besides the learning experience, it was really fun, and a few of those people have remained lifelong friends.

    ReplyDelete